For Immediate Release
March 4, 2019
Teachers Ratify Tentative Agreement
St. John’s, NL… Teachers in Newfoundland and Labrador have voted to accept the tentative collective agreement which was reached with the Provincial Government and School Boards in January 2019. The contract was recommended for acceptance by the NLTA’s Provincial Executive Council and Branch Presidents.
Under the new contract all teachers will see improvements which include:
- greater transparency in the hiring process;
- longer maternity/parental/adoption leave;
- an extra guaranteed day of professional development;
- a new day for report card preparation;
- replacement of principals when absent from school on district business;
- a Department Head for Student Support Services in over 100 schools;
- improved language addressing harassment in the workplace.
“While the concessions obtained by Government were a point of contention for the membership, it was felt that this was the best agreement that could be reached in this economic environment,” says Dean Ingram, President of the Newfoundland and Labrador Teachers’ Association.
– 30 –
For further information contact:
Lesley-Ann Browne, NLTA Communications, Tel: 709-726-3223, ext. 228; 682-3751 (cellular). CLICK HERE to send an email.