Labrador Benefits Agreement
A new Labrador Benefits Agreement has been ratified and signed, effective February 10, 2020. The terms of the Agreement are an integral component of all public sector agreements in the region. The Labrador Benefits Agreement was first established in 1990.
The Agreement is applicable to public sector employees in Labrador, including those represented by the Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Public and Private Employees (NAPE), Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), Registered Nurses Union of Newfoundland and Labrador (RNUNL), Newfoundland and Labrador Teachers’ Association (NLTA), and Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Association (RNCA).
Changes/updates relevant to teachers include:
- Effective on the date of signing and expires on March 31, 2022. It covers the period from April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2022.
- Increases to the Labrador Allowance on April 1, 2020 and April 1, 2021 as follows:
- $40 increase to all Community groupings for both single and dependent rates, in each of those 2 years;
- Increase to Travel Allowance as follows:
- $39 increase to travel allowance for the employee rates only on April 1, 2020;
- Changes to language to reflect a modern approach to gender (e.g., “their” instead of “his/her”);
- Clarification that Labrador Benefits are paid to employees for periods of adoption leave, as well as maternity and parental leave;
- Renewal of the Letter confirming that the travel allowance is calculated/based on the school year for teachers.
Teachers with questions should contact an Administrative Officer in Programs and Services.