Guide for Planning the Branch Year
Suggested Branch Program
- Ensure that all relevant files are passed over to the appropriate executive person.
- Check that each school has a school representative and a contact person on the branch Executive.
- Arrange to fill any vacant offices on branch executive.
- Ensure that the Preliminary Branch Registration Form and the Branch Audit of Operating Accounts Form have been forwarded to NLTA Office.
- Revise branch membership list (names of schools/board offices with list of teachers in each).
- Branch Executive meets to plan branch program for the year.
- Plan a “Welcome to New Teachers” event.
- Arrange to have chairpersons for branch standing and ad hoc committees appointed and ensure that each group has the appropriate terms of reference, tasks and deadlines as applicable.
- Review NLTA policy on Association Awards (I. Operations of the NLTA – Section S) and search for appropriate nominees.
- Plan a meeting of school representatives.
- Present program for year to branch membership for ratification.
- Announce to branch members the chairpersons of standing committees and their specific tasks, etc.
- Decide on nominees for Awards (Bancroft, Barnes, Allan Bishop and Special Recognition) and obtain approval at a general branch meeting. Continue collecting necessary documentation to support nominations.
- Solicit topics from branch members for the first Joint Council meeting.
- Deadline for receipt of the official Branch Registration Form at the NLTA Office is November 1.
- Deadline for Project Overseas
- Include in a meeting agenda, a report on topics discussed at the first Joint Council meeting.
- Deadline for receipt of the Branch Audit of Operating Accounts Form in order to receive the branch membership rebate is December 31.
- Deadline for receipt of Official Registration for Substitute Teachers Form is January 15.
- Educational Leave Applications to be submitted to the school districts.
- Bancroft, Barnes, Allan Bishop and Special Recognition Award nominations must be received by January 31.
- When names are available, complete the Retirement Scrolls/Pins Order Form on the NLTA website. Orders are submitted to Jeanine Warford, Assistant to the Executive Director.
- Report from Branch Nominations Committee re candidates for branch offices.
- Election of Branch Executive (2nd week of May).
- Event to honour Retiring Teachers and Year-End Social
- Last day of school is the deadline for mailing Preliminary Branch Registration Forms to Rita Tee, Accountant/Assistant, Corporate Services, at NLTA. (Even partially completed forms should be mailed.)
- All branch files and materials should be passed over to new Executive members.