ARTICLE 37: TERM CONTRACTS
37.01 A Board shall enter into a term contract with a teacher only when:
- the teacher is replacing a teacher on leave; or
- the teacher is hired to fill, for the balance of that school year, a vacancy which occurs after August 1 of that school year; or
- the teacher is hired to fill, for the balance of that school year, a position which is allocated as an additional unit by the Department of Education, after September 1 of that school year; or
- the teacher is hired to fill a position left vacant because of the unavailability of a teacher who is qualified in the position advertised; or
- the teacher is hired for the purpose of position-sharing pursuant to Article 54; or
- the teacher is hired to fill a position which is necessary because the School Board has served formal notice that the school will close at the end of the school year.
37.02 The provisions of Clause 37.01 shall not apply to teachers rehired under Clause 9.12.
- If a teacher is offered a probationary or a continuing contract, the period of employment under term contract(s), or the relevant portion thereof, may be counted as the probationary period in accordance with Article 7.
- Notwithstanding Clause 37.03(a), a maximum of one (1) year of employment in a term contract contiguous to employment in a probationary or continuing contract in a comparable position with the same School Board shall be counted as part of the probationary period in accordance with Article 7.
37.04 Notwithstanding Clause 37.01, a teacher on a continuing contract with a School Board who is filling another position with the School Board on a temporary basis shall be deemed to be on leave from his/her position and the teacher shall retain all rights and privileges with that Board.