R. Gender Identity/Expression and Sexual Orientation
The NLTA reaffirms its commitment to Section 15 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, to Section 3 of the Canadian Human Rights Act and to Article 1 of the UN Declaration of Human Rights, which accepts that “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.” It follows, therefore, that
- We recognize that all people of all gender identities/expressions and sexual orientations have the right to be treated fairly, equitably and with dignity.
- We recognize that biological sex assignment at birth may not be consistent with an individual’s intrinsic sense of self – gender identity.
- We accept that individuals have the right to express their gender identity and sexual orientation.
- We condemn abuse, harassment or bullying as serious disciplinary offenses and we insist on avenues of recourse (without fear of reprisal) for any student, staff member, parent or guardian who is the victim of such harassment, discrimination or violence because of gender identity/expression or sexual orientation.
- We acknowledge that students and staff come from diverse backgrounds, and we advocate for educational systems and environments that are safe, welcoming, inclusive and affirming for all people of all gender identities/expressions and sexual orientations.
- We accept that, as educators, we have a critical role to play in creating accepting environments in our workplaces and within the broader society. As such, we will uphold actions or take actions to do so, including educating young people and preparing them to live in open, pluralistic and democratic societies where discrimination, prejudicial treatment, and aggression is not tolerated.
- We understand and accept our duty to model respect, understanding and affirmation of diversity.
- We will monitor curriculum materials, pedagogy, policies, practices and programs to ensure that they are not inclusive and homophobic, transphobic or heterosexist, and further, we will make complaint against any which are found to be so.
- We will promote equity and inclusiveness for all individuals in our workplaces, regardless of gender identity/expression or sexual orientation.
[May/27-28/05] [JC Nov/05] [2007 BGM] [Dec/13-14/13] [JC Mar/14] [2015 BGM] [Jun/11/21]