MEMORANDUM OR UNDERSTAND RE TEACHING AND LEARNING ASSISTANTS
1. It is understood and agreed by the parties that the scope of practice of Teaching and Learning Assistants does not enable them to fulfill the responsibilities for which a teaching Certificate IV or higher is required. As such, the parties agree that responsibilities requiring a Certificate IV or higher cannot be carried out by Teaching and Learning Assistants.
2. It is understood and agreed by the parties that teachers holding Certificate IV or higher are eligible for Teaching and Learning Assistant positions. It is also understood and agreed that a teacher who is working on a full-time basis as a Teaching and Learning Assistant will not be eligible for substitute, term and replacement teaching positions during the term of their contract. It is further understood and agreed by the parties that a teacher who is contracted for a substitute, term or replacement Teaching and Learning Assistant position shall not be eligible for a substitute, term or replacement teaching position during the term of the paid substitute, term and replacement contract periods.
3. It is understood and agreed by the parties that all Articles, Clauses, Letters, Schedules, Memorandums of Agreement, and interpretations of this Collective Agreement shall apply to teachers employed in Teaching and Learning Assistant positions unless otherwise specifically exempted, amended or clarified herein as follows:
- unless otherwise specifically exempted, amended or clarified herein, the use of the terms “teacher” or “teachers” in the Agreement includes teachers employed in Teaching and Learning Assistant positions;
- the following provisions of this Collective Agreement are not applicable to teachers in teaching and learning assistant positions: Clauses 17.01, 33.04, 41.02, 41.03, 41.04, 41.05, 41.07, 42.05, 42.07(a)-(d), 42.10, 47.02, 47.04, 47.08, 47.11(a), and 47.14; Article 31.