ARTICLE 23 – SALARIES
(a) The salaries and allowances paid to teachers shall be in accordance with Schedules A and B which form an integral part of this Agreement.
(b) Notwithstanding Clause 23.01(a), teachers employed as teaching and learning assistants shall be paid at the rate applicable for a Level II teaching certificate in accordance with Schedules A and B which form an integral part of this agreement.
23.02 No School Board shall pay any teacher a salary other than that corresponding to that teacher’s qualifications and experience.
23.03 The calculation of a teacher’s years of service for incremental purposes as set forth in Clause 23.04 and the changes resulting from this calculation shall be made once yearly, immediately preceding the beginning of the school year or at the date of the initial employment of the teacher.
23.04 In computing the total years of service for incremental purposes, the following shall be followed:
(a) A day of service shall be counted as five (5) hours.
(b) The total years of service shall be determined by dividing the total days of service by the number of days in a school year as prescribed in Article 16.
(c) When the total years of service has been computed, that total shall be adjusted so that a fraction of one-half year or more shall be counted a year, but a fraction of less than one-half not be counted.
(a) For the purpose of Clause 23.04(a), anytime a teacher is under full pay in accordance with Schedule A or B or as a licensed teacher, shall be counted as hours of service.
(b) Notwithstanding Clauses 23.04 and 23.05(a) service in a teaching and learning assistant position shall not be counted when computing service for incremental purposes in other teaching positions.
23.06 In computing years of service in accordance with Clauses 23.03 and 23.04, the teachers shall be credited with:
(a) a period of teaching service performed in the Province; and/or
- a period of teaching service in an educational institute situated outside the Province and such service approved by the Minister; and/or
- a period of teaching service as a teacher in a K-12 school operated by a Canadian School Board; and/or
(c) a period of service as a District Director, or an Associate Director, or an Assistant Director or an Education Officer; and/or
(d) a period of service as a teacher employed in a school in Wabush, Labrador City, Churchill Falls, and Conne River; and/or
(e) service done, before or after this Article came into force; as
- a Professional Officer of the Department of Education; and/or
- an Executive Officer of the Denominational Education Council; and/or
- President of the Canadian Teachers’ Federation; and/or
- President of the Newfoundland and Labrador Teachers’ Association; and/or
- an Administrative Officer of the Newfoundland and Labrador School Boards Association; and/or
- an Administrative Officer of the Newfoundland and Labrador Teachers’ Association; and/or
(f) Service done before or after this Article came into force, as a teacher in:
- an adult education institution approved by the Minister; and/or
- the College of the North Atlantic and predecessor organizations, Institute of Fisheries and Marine Technology, and/or a District Vocational School; and/or
- a faculty member of Memorial University and/or Sir Wilfred Grenfell College; and/or
- an approved private school and/or a teacher in a Government school; and/or
- related service done in an institution as a specialist teacher, approved for this purpose by the Minister.
(g) Service accumulated before or after this Article comes into force in the specialized areas of employment of speech pathology, educational psychology, hearing and visual impairments, where the job involved working with school aged children to improve learning performance, and where the teacher’s present position involves the same kind of professional activity with students.
(h) Notwithstanding (a) to (g) above, teachers with prior service are responsible for providing the required documentation to the Registrar of Teacher Certification within ninety (90) calendar days of becoming employed with a School Board. If the teacher fails to do so within this time limit the retroactive application of prior service shall be to the first day of the month in which the teacher provided the required documentation. This clause does not apply in cases of demonstrated clerical error or in extenuating circumstances as determined at the discretion of the Registrar.
(i) Subject to retroactivity being conditional upon the teacher’s responsibility as set out in Clause 23.06(h), upon a teacher being hired by a School Board, including being accepted on the substitute list, the School Board shall notify the teacher in writing of the requirements of Clause 23.06(h).
23.07 Teachers who teach on a part-time basis shall not be required to attend workshops which occur during school hours when they would not normally be working.
23.08 Teachers hired on permanent part-time contracts will be paid a salary in line with the fraction of a full staffing unit as assigned to them.