G. Pre-Retirement Counselling
1. The NLTA will make provision for an ongoing program of pre-retirement counselling through the involvement of Program and Services staff in branch workshops, branch meetings, and small group sessions as requested. Elements of programs and services relating to retirement planning will be communicated through the use of the NLTA Bulletin, Infosheets, and special publications.
2. The NLTA will provide a special program of pre-retirement counselling to members in the form of annual pre-retirement seminars. Only those members who are eligible to retire within two years of the expiry of the school year in which the seminars are held will be permitted to attend. Exceptions will be allowed in the case of members required to retire on disability pensions.
3. Pre-retirement seminars will be planned each year by the Programs and Services staff. The location and number of seminars will be determined on the basis of Association policy as determined from time to time by the Provincial Executive Council.
4. Expenses will be paid for members who attend the pre-retirement seminars in accordance with the following stipulations:
a) Travel expenses shall be reimbursed in accordance with the following provisions:
i) participants shall be reimbursed the lesser of travel by private vehicle or public transportation to the seminar closest to the place of residence. In the event that a member requests and is accepted to attend a seminar other than the closest seminar, the participant shall only be reimbursed the amount applicable for travel to the closest seminar. In instances where two or more members travel in the same vehicle, only one claim for travel expenses shall be paid.
ii) payment for private vehicle shall be at the rate which is 40% of the average cost of self-serve, regular gasoline, as determined on the first day of each fiscal quarter and remaining constant for the specific quarter, to a maximum of the non-taxable vehicle allowance per kilometre as established by the Canada Revenue Agency, for the return trip from residence to seminar site. It is understood that the average cost referenced herein shall mean the cost as determined for the island portion of Newfoundland and Labrador. The Association’s kilometre rates for unpaved roads will be calculated at 1.5 times the paved road rate. [Mar/30/06][JC Nov/06] [2007 BGM] [Nov/1&3/07] [JC Apr/08] [2009 BGM] [2017 BGM]
iii) travel by public conveyance shall be reimbursed for ferry, taxi, or economy airfare; in the case of airfare, the lesser of excursion (seat sale) or 80 percent of economy airfare will be paid, where excursion (seat sale) fares can be arranged. Receipts shall be required for all reimbursement. [Feb/18-19/15] [2015 BGM]
iv) no expenses will be paid to participants living or teaching in the community where the seminar is held. [Feb/19-20/98] [JC Feb/98]
v) a partner is welcome to accompany the participating member to the pre-retirement seminar, but no expenses will be covered. [Feb/20&22/03] [2003 BGM] [Jun/13- 14/14]
b) All other expenses, such as meals, accommodation, and childcare, are not covered. These expenses are the responsibility of the participating member. [Feb/20&22/03] [2003 BGM]
c) Any reception(s) held during the pre-retirement seminars will be on a cash basis only. [June/8/01] [JC Nov/01] [2003 BGM]
5. Expenses will be provided for one pre-retirement seminar only per member participant. A member participant shall be permitted to attend one seminar only. (Notwithstanding this, a member may attend a second seminar as a partner.) [Jun/13-14/14]
6. Members attending a pre-retirement seminar must attend the seminar location closest to their place of residence, except in cases where the mode, cost or availability of transportation necessitates otherwise. Such determination will be made by Programs and Services.
7. School board management staff and partners are welcome to attend one pre-retirement seminar, but no expenses will be paid in accordance with this policy. [Jun/13-14/14]
8. All participants, in order to attend, must register for a particular seminar. Registration must be received at the NLTA office at least four (4) weeks in advance in order to ensure approval of attendance.
9. The funding mechanism and program content for pre-retirement seminars will be reviewed annually by the Membership Benefits and Services Committee with recommendations being made to Executive as required. [Feb/3-4/94] [1994 AGM]