ARTICLE 46: TEACHER EXCHANGE AND SECONDMENT
A. Exchange Within the Board
46.01 With the mutual agreement of any two (2) teachers and the School Board concerned, teacher exchange may take place within that Board. Exact terms and duration to be determined by the teachers and School Board concerned.
B. Exchange Between School Boards
46.02 With the mutual agreement of any two (2) School Boards and the teachers concerned, teacher exchange may take place between the Boards. The teacher exchanged will retain all benefits and rights accrued with the original School Board. The receiving School Board shall have all management and control with respect to the employment of the teacher during the period of the exchange.
C. Secondment By The Department of Education or Memorial University of Newfoundland
46.03 The Department of Education and Memorial University of Newfoundland may second teachers under the following conditions:
- With the mutual consent of the teachers and the Board(s) involved.
- The teacher shall remain in the employ of the School Board and, where he/she is required to be in attendance for the normal working days of the seconding department or agency:
(i) he/she shall be paid the maximum allowance for a program specialist in addition to their regular salary; and
(ii) the teacher shall be provided annual leave based on the teacher’s accumulated service in accordance with Article 21 and the annual leave policy for Government employees.
- A substitute teacher shall be provided for the teacher who has been seconded.
46.04 Subject to Clause 9.01, teachers so exchanged or seconded will retain their seniority with the Board from which they exchanged or seconded.
46.05 Subject to Clause 9.01, the years of service with the Board to which the teacher has exchanged or seconded shall be counted as years of service for seniority with the Board from which they exchanged or seconded.
- Subject to Articles 9 and 29, upon termination of the period of exchange or secondment, the teacher shall be returned to the same position held prior to the exchange or secondment unless it is mutually agreed between the teacher and the School Board that the teacher return to a particular position.
- Subject to Article 9, a teacher whose period of exchange or secondment commences and terminates during the same school year shall be returned to the same position held prior to the exchange or secondment unless it is mutually agreed between the teacher and the School Board that the teacher return to a particular position.