ARTICLE 42: DEFINITIONS
42.01 In this Agreement, unless the context otherwise requires:
- “Assistant Director” means Assistant Director appointed pursuant to the Schools Act, 1997.
- “Day” means teaching day.
- “Director” means a Director appointed pursuant to the Schools Act, 1997.
- “Domicile” means that place where that person has his or her true, fixed and permanent home and principal establishment and to which, whenever he/she is absent, he/she has the intention of returning.
- “Grievance” means a dispute over the interpretation, application administration, or alleged violation of this Collective Agreement.
- “Layoff” means the termination of a teacher’s contract in accordance with Article 9 because the teacher’s position has become redundant and no alternate position with the School Board is available.
- “Minister” means the Minister of Education.
- “Replacement teacher” means a teacher who is hired to replace a regular teacher who has been granted leave without pay, or a teacher granted leave under Article 20.
- “Salary” shall mean the remuneration that a teacher shall receive and shall include allowances where appropriate.
- “School” means any school or other place of work to which a teacher has been assigned by a School Board.
- “School System” means a high school, together with one or more than one elementary school in which programs are offered for students progressing from Kindergarten to Grade XII; the boundaries and the schools to be included in a school system shall be determined by the School Board concerned.
- “Service” means any period of employment in respect of which an employee is in receipt of salary or wages from the Employer and includes, from the date of the signing of this Agreement, periods of leave without pay not exceeding ten (10) working days in the aggregate in any year unless otherwise specified in this Agreement.
- “Spouse” means a person to whom a teacher is legally married, or a person with whom a teacher has cohabited for a continuous period of at least one (1) year and with whom the teacher intends to continue to cohabit and who has been identified to the Employer, in writing, as the teacher’s spouse.
- “Substitute teacher” means a teacher who is hired in place of another teacher who is granted leave with pay in accordance with the provisions of this Agreement, or is absent on sick leave or is performing duties in accordance with Clause 29.04(b).
- “Teaching and learning assistant” means a teacher employed in a teaching and learning assistant position, the minimum certification requirement for which is a Level II teaching certificate endorsed “Teaching and Learning Assistant”, and who works under the direct supervision of a classroom teacher holding Level IV teaching certificate or higher.